I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

I like soup...

 Yesterday and today have been cold and rainy and I really want some soup.

I never told you guys, but I made EatingWell's Vegetarian Tortilla Soup last month and it was really great.  It was hearty and filling and satisfying.  Here's a picture of it.



I love soup so much.  It's one of those things that I don't often think to make, but when I do, it's super satisfying and I am so happy to have it. I am especially happy when I have made really awesome stock and have it tucked away in the freezer like tupperware containers full of gold in the bank.  I love the process of soup, I love the result of soup.

I think I posted on Facebook and/or Twitter the delights of Wonton soup, but haven't written about it here.  It's seriously one of the best soups I've ever eaten.  Such a great balance - chewy wontons, savory broth, fresh cilantro (you have to like cilantro to do this soup, though I think it would work with maybe chives if  you don't).  You just need to make sure you have Really Awesome Homemade Chicken Stock, and you're golden.  It's from  SIMPLY SOUP, a book I got at Half-Price Books and love a real lot.

Look at my pretty wontons:  So much fun to make, and they have a really satisfying filling.



Hello, gorgeous soup, I want to eat you once a week.



Wonton Soup from SIMPLY SOUP, with my commentary:
Serves 6 - 8

Soup:
8 cups chicken stock
     (use really good chicken stock you make yourself - my favorite is from the bones of  Bobbie's Chicken it really makes a difference to have good stock.)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp (white) pepper
2 TBS finely chopped scallion
1 TBS chopped cilantro leaves

Wonton Filling:
6 oz ground pork, not too lean
8 oz raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 TBS soy sauce
1TBS Chinese rice wine (Also known as Sake)
2 tsp finely chopped scallion
pinch of sugar
pinch of (white) pepper
dash of sesame oil


30 square wonton wrappers
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Instructions:
For the wonton filling, mix together the nine filling ingredients and stir well until the texture is thick and pasty.  Set aside for at least 20 minutes.


To make the wontons. place a teaspoon of the filling at the center of a wrapper.  Brush the edges with a little egg white.  Bring the opposite points toward each other and press the edges together, creating a flowerlike shape. (I twist them a little at the end to make the flower shape.) Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.















To make the soup, bring the stock to a boil and add the salt and pepper.  Boil the wontons in the stock for about 5 minutes, or until the wrappers begin to wrinkle around the filling.


To serve, put the scallion in individual bowls, spoon  in the wontons and soup, and sprinkle with cilantro. So pretty!








Here are some other people who like SOUP (1:35 - 3:21).

1 comment:

  1. Soup sounds perfect for dinner tonight... It's so dreary and rainy outside.

    ReplyDelete