I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch Cherry Bomb!

Join me in the delights of unconventionalism, won't you?  I this week made Cherry Jam.


This jam made it on to vanilla ice cream (with and without chocolate syrup), toast, and.... a grilled cheese sandwich.  No, wait.  Several grilled cheese sandwiches.  For lunch and then For Breakfast.  That's right.  I served grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast.  And I was right to do it.

I used the Cherry Jam, Cracker Barrel's New York Extra Sharp Cheddar, Tregula (omg, you have to try Tregula!) and some day-old boule from Patrick's Bakery.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Cherry jam on a grilled cheese sandwich is the most beautiful thing you never heard of.   It was suggested in the recipe from Eating Well for this jam, and it looked so good I had to try it.  Now you should.



The recipe below makes enough for 2 sundaes, some toast with butter and 1 1/2 grilled cheese sandwiches.  And tasting.  Lots and lots of tasting.  It is half of the original recipe, and therefore easily doubled.  It is also really easy to make with kids, as you just stir all ingredients together and stick it in the oven.

Roasted Cherry Jam
Modified from EatingWell's Smokey Roasted Cherry Jam (I don't do smokey)

INGREDIENTS
1 15oz pkg pitted frozen cherries, thawed and cut in half
1/4c orange juice 
1/2 TBS chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 salt

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 450F
Combine all ingredients in a pie plate or baking pan
Roast, stirring occasionally until the cherries are broken down and the liquid has thickened, 35 - 45 minutes (same time for double recipe)


3 comments:

  1. Not a combination I would ever have though of, but it's intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's Tregula? A google search isn't returning anything food-related.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a cheese from the Asiago region. Mmmmmm yum.

    ReplyDelete