I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tofu Coconut Milk Curry with Wilted Spinach and Almondy Rice


Some days I'm so glad I have a well stocked pantry.  It was 5:00 and I realized I had nothing to cook for dinner.  I was going to run up to the store, but unfortunately that requires the cooperation of two other people who were playing fairies so nicely together that I hated to ask them to transition yet again at the end of the day.  I could just tell that tantrums would ensue, and decided that it just wasn't worth it.  I have actually have plenty to eat in the house at all times - I should really take a look around.  I came up with this:


It's pan fried tofu with a curry coconut milk sauce over chopped spinach, served with Trader Joe's frozen basmati rice mixed with toasted almonds.  It was really good!  The sauce recipe is from this recipe (which is really awesome and has been one of my staples for over a decade).  It's from the Rush Hour Cookbook which has it's own story for another blog post.




1 comment:

  1. My husband is a curry fiend. He'd probably bathe in it if I let him.

    He's gotten pretty good at making a sort of poor mans saffron rice by putting some coconut milk in with the water making rice and then adding Balti spice to it along with some tumeric.

    I love balti, it's got a much lighter curry flavor that you can pair it with something light on flavor itself without over powering things.

    Have you experimented much more with curries? We've done tandoori a bit and the like but making our own curry pastes hasn't ended too well.

    ReplyDelete