I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Filling my parents' fridge with food.


My husband travels for work about every 4 - 6 weeks for about 4 - 6 days.  When he does, the kids and I move into my childhood home with my parents, four miles down the street.  I am an only child, and my parents are so happy to have these days to spend with their only grandchildren.  Oh, and with me, of course.  Plus I cook, so that's good.

When we arrive at my parents', we do so with whatever perishables we have in the house.  I also then go grocery shopping.  My parents either shop for ingredients for that evening's recipe after work, or make reservations for dinner.  I need to plan ahead a little more than that.  And so I shop.

This week I jammed their refrigerator with eggs, bacon, asparagus, greens and scallops and made my last two dishes from April's EatingWell.  The results were delicious.


Unfortunately, the Spinach and Frisée Salad with Tangerines & Coriander Crusted Scallops were served without my taking a picture first.

Mine totally looked like that.  And it was as delicious as you would imagine.  Only took 25 minutes to make, too.  AND it's only 5 Weight Watchers Points for the whole thing.  Go make it.  I used previously frozen scallops and oranges.  I also added a little of the herbs from the dressing (dill, chervil and chives in my case) to the greens.  I was really glad I did.  (Who's ever used chervil?  Well do.  It's really lovely.)

We also made some pizzas.  I used Pillsbury roll out crust (in the can, like Crescent Rolls) which worked just fine.  I also didn't remember to take the picture until after we were half way done... but here they are:





The first is a Bacon, Egg and Asparagus Pizza.  Except for the crust, I actually followed all the directions and used all the ingredients as shown in the recipe.  Amazing, I know.  
The second was a regular cheese pizza for the kids.  Trader Joe's marinara with some tomato paste to thicken it, and pre-shredded mozzarella.  They ate it for lunch the next day, too.  AND they ate the crust!

I have since come back to my own home and emptied fridge, cleared out the riff-raff, gone through my new June EatingWell and stocked up for this week's newest recipes. My parents went to Corner Table

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! The salad with scallops looks divine. I'm bookmarking it right now!

    ReplyDelete