I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Lunch Time

I'm terrible at lunch.  I never know what to eat. I'm always thinking about what's for dinner and am terrible at keeping track of time passing by (just ask my husband).  Lunch sneaks up on me.  Like, every day.

Now that my kids are in school, I'm trying to be prepared for when they come home at lunch time.  I make a lot of salads like this one:

chicken, orzo, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta .
If you mix it while the pasta is still warm. the feta melts and makes a yummy sauce.

I make this dressing and have it around so I can put it on stuff for lunch.

2 Parts plain (no or low-fat -- you can't tell) yogurt (1/2 cup?)
1 part light mayonnaise (1/4 cup?)
scant 1/2 part mustard (1 TBS?)
1 Big-Squeeze-of-Plastic-Lemon lemon juice (1 tsp?)
salt and pepper

Stuff I put it on:

chicken, zucchini, grapes, curly pasta


Tuna, peas, chickpeas on spinach

Chicken, orzo, bell pepper, zucchini, broccoli slaw

Orzo, chicken, cherry tomatoes, zucchini on spinach


You get the idea.

Hey.  Guess what?  It's time for lunch.  I don't know what we're having.  Time got away from me.  I've been writing this blog post.  What are you having?

2 comments:

  1. I usually make one thing on sundays that I can eat all week -- otherwise I Find myself grabbing for "bad" foods in a fit of hunger and stress. I make a quinoa chicken salad similar to yours above -- ff feta, red sliced grapes, chicken, quinoa, diced celery & scallions, and balsamic vinagrette (newman's own lite). It is really good and I always crave it rather than getting sick of it. If I don't plan, though, it is a disaster -- though dinner is worse for me because by the time I've fought traffic home after a long day, I need to throw osmething right in the oven or I"ll be on the phone with dominos in a heart beat. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was bacon and eggs, but I usually have donburi (rice bowl with stuff on it) made with whatever leftovers are in the fridge instead of raw fish. So, rice or wild rice with spinach/bacon/egg, or chicken/egg, beef/mushrooms, or whatever. :) And a new favorite is a BLT with a fried egg added to make it more filling. Probably not good for me but it tastes wonderful.

    ReplyDelete