I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Monday, November 22, 2010

STROGANOFF!! (to scare the birds)*


Inspired once again by my lovely internet friends of this blog, Facebook and Twitter, I decided this week to try a flood that I think I don't like.  (Thanks, guys!)  It was almost olives, but I just can't get there.  I think I have to be satisfied with my adoration of olive oil, and be done with it.



No, this week I made two recipes with mushrooms in them. Here is one. The other is forthcoming. The secret for me is that I can't know that the mushroom is there. It needs to hide its creepy spongy texture and only reveal its delicious earthy flavor. Then, mushrooms and I are cool.






DILLED PORK STROGANOFF
Makes 4 1-cup servings
Total time: 30 minutes


· 1 (1 pound) pork tenderloin cut in ½ inch strips
· ½ tsp salt, divided
· ¼ tsp pepper
· 2 ½ tsp butter, divided
· Cooking spray
· ½ cup chicken broth
· 2 cups onion, chopped
· 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms
· 1 cup low-fat sour cream
· 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
· 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
· 1 tsp flour
· Dill sprigs


Season pork with1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, then add 1 ½ tsp butter and melt over medium heat.. Add pork, sauté 4 minutes or until pork loses its pink color. Remove pork from pan; cover to keep warm.


Add broth to pan, cook 20 seconds. Add 1 teaspoon butter, ¼ tsp salt, onions and mushrooms; cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from heat.


Meanwhile, combine sour cream, dill, mustard and flour in a small bowl. 

Add sour cream mixture and pork back to pan; stir well on low until stroganoff is heated through.


Serve over wide egg noodles and a side of peas or asparagus. Yum!



*Wondering what I'm talking about in the title?  Here you go:


If you don't know the work Calef Brown, you should. I think of his poem, "Polka Bats" every time I hear the word STROGANOFF. These are the books I look forward to reading to my kids over and over again. Smart, funny rhymes - and crazy illustrations, too.







 A local band named Clementown has set two of his books to music. They are also seriously awesome. We've seen them in concert twice now, and I think I'm even more excited to see them than the kids are. Again, this is the CD I don't mind being on repeat in the car for days.






photos here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment