I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Monday, November 29, 2010

We ate food on Thursday. Here are a whole lot of iPhone pictures.

Chances are, if you live in the US, you ate food Thursday, too.  Well, really, chances are if you're reading this blog from anywhere, you ate food on Thursday.  But a lot of us ate similarly this particular Thursday.


Here's what we had:

A few years ago, my mother threatened to make reservations for Thanksgiving.  I told her that eating at a restaurant was unacceptable, that my body knows when Thanksgiving comes around and that I was sure it would mutiny in an ugly way, were it not given it's annual ration of Madeira gravy.  I told her she and my father could put the turkey in the oven, and I would take care of the rest.

We're all really glad I did, because now we have a sort of tradition where Mom and Dad do turkey/stuffing/gravy and I do everything else.  Well, everything else that requires actual cooking - they can still handle nuking the package of peas with butter sauce.

Throughout the years, we've solidified a very nice menu.  Here's this year's verison:

Cranberry Sauce, two ways
Bag of Cranberries, 2 oranges, 1/4 cup brown sugar, ginger, cloves.
At the table

Yes, we also had the canned kind.
Why did they change the cans so you can't open both sides?  Drives us nuts every year.




Brussels Sprouts Gratin




Other Sides

Aforementioned Peas in Butter Sauce

Mashed Potatoes (y'all know to put an egg in there, right?  Makes 'em super rich!)

Sausage Stuffing (do you call it stuffing or dressing?)

Sweet Potatoes

Creamed Onions


See the herbs between the skin and breast meat?

At the table.

Herby leftovers.

Mana from Heaven.

Seriously, we have to ration the leftovers of this stuff.

My mom sets a lovely table.

The table before.

Place setting.

What I ate.

The aftermath.
Dessert
My daughter's school's fundraiser this Fall was from The Chip Shoppe.  Here's what we bought to help build a rock wall for her gym:

Pumpkin Roll.  YUM!

Pecan Pie.
You'll see this on our Christmas table, too.  Glad we got two!!
Afterward

Turkey stock.

Mimi, the 15 year old Jack Russell Terrier, gets to lick the platter.

Midnight snack.

The last of the leftovers became a pizza lunch.
A Flatout, topped with mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, mozzarella under the broiler,
garnished with orange cranberry relish.

As I said in an earlier post.  I am thankful that you read my blog.  I'm so happy I started it and it gives me great joy that you're out there.  Thank you.


This is too cute not to show again.  Seriously.  All four paws are on that thing!



2 comments:

  1. It looks like an amazing meal! The leftovers on pizza sounds like the most wonderful invention ever. I haven't had a thanksgiving in the US since 2006 and I miss it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a third dog picture might even be necessary.

    Looks delish! (and what a gorgeous table!)

    ReplyDelete